Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help with troublesome .CSV fields!

Have you actually looked at the text in the CSV file (using something like
Notepad) to see what is in there? My guess is that it is stored in the same
way that it was displayed in the Excel file from which you saved it. I
would guess further that you then used Excel to open the CSV file, and Excel
has decided how to display the number (which is as scientific notation, not
as a formula). If so, you can tell Excel to format the cell as number with
zero decimal places, or you may find it better not to OPEN the CSV file with
Excel but to use Data/ Import external Data, and tell it to treat the
relevant columns as text so that it doesn't get reinterpreted.

In general, after you've saved as CSV you shouldn't rely on Excel to tell
you what is in there. CSV is a text format, so read the text.
--
David Biddulph

"markpruett" wrote in message
Hello!
I have a spreadsheet with just one column of numbers that I will use to
upload to my website for a particular purpose. However, when a number in a
field exceeds 11 digits and I try to save as a .csv, the number is
converted
to a formula. For example: "222222222222" is converted to "2.2222E+11".

I need the numbers in the string of digits and cannot have it made into a
formula because when it is uploaded is will be read as the formula and not
the string of digits.

Please let me know what I can do about this. Any response is appreciated.