Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

Default How do I sum here using criteria there?

How odd. Both formulas should give you those desired results from the data
you have provided, if you put them in (for example, if you have column
headers in row 1) D2 and change the A1 in those forumulas to A2, then fill
down.

Is the result of both formulas 0, or some number that isn't the right answer
but isn't 0, or an error

If it is 0, is your calculation mode set to automatic? A quick way to check
is to hit F9. To fix this in 2003 go to tools, options, calculation tab, and
make sure the dot is by automatic.

If the answer is wrong, check the SSNs for spaces or other characters.
=TRIM(CLEAN(A2)) in an empty colum then filled down and copy/paste value over
the originals should take care of it.

If it is an error, what is the error?

"LM" wrote:

Those formulas don't work?? Here's a more elaborate example of what I'm
looking for:

Columns A (Employee SS), B (Project No), and C (Salary) as follows
A..................B...............C
1..................X..............$5
1..................Y..............$6
2..................X..............$5
2..................Z..............$7
3..................Y..............$5
4..................Y..............$6
4..................Z..............$7
5..................X..............$5
Total............................$46

Desired Result:
A.................B
1.................$11
2.................$12
3.................$5
4.................$13
5.................$5
Total...........$46

Thanks!

"~L" wrote:

The sum of salary for all projects by SSN:

=SUMIF($A$1:$A$5000,A1,$C1:$C5000)

"LM" wrote:

Ok, imagine column A is a list of social security numbers. Column B is a
list of project names. Column C is a listing of salaries for those social
security numbers. I need to have excel calculate for me each social security
number's total salary.

SSN............Project #......Salary
123456789.....32...........$12,000
123456789.....45...........$15,000
333445555.....31...........$11,000
444556666.....45...........$15,000

So, in this example, you can see that the person with SS# 123456789 worked
on 2 different projects and earned a sum of $27,000. Is there a formula that
I can put into the spreadsheet to do this all the way down? I have over
2,000 records so I can't possibly do this by hand. Thanks.