Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eli[_4_] Eli[_4_] is offline

Default Backwards LookUp

This will be easier to explain with an example:

A B C D
1 1 2 3
2 1 3.7 5.4 5.4
3 2 6.5 10.8 10.8
4 3 13.1 16.2 23.4

The object of the formula that I am trying to write is to return the
corresponding value in A2:A4 that matches the combination of B1:D1 and B2:D4.
So for example if the number in B1:D1 that I know is 2 and the number in
B2:D4 that I know is 16.2 then I want 3 (the value in A4) returned as the
answer.

To add one more twist to this. If the number I know in B1:D1 is 3 but the
number I know in the B2:D4 is 7, I want the formula to look for the next
larger number that is in the table to match with, so in this example the
correct answer would be 2 (A3).

Any ideas? Thank you, Eli