Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default File Opening Trouble

Easiest fix is...............

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK.

If no joy with that, post back and we can propose another fix.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:19:01 -0800, JGreg7
wrote:

When I double click on an Excel file to open it, I get a series of messages
that files can not be found as follows:

Personal.xls is locked…
C:\My.xls cannot be found….
C:\Documents.xls cannot be found….
C:\Documents.xls cannot be found….
C:\and.xls cannot be found….
C:\Settings.xls cannot be found….etc.

It seems to be trying to open each word in the directory path as a separate
file. The separation seems to occur whenever it reaches a space or a slash
in the file path. This only happens with Excel files. All other files work
normally. Opening the file in Excel using the menu file/open…. works
normally.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

(Windows XP SP2, Office 2003)