Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default Help with Averages/Sums of values returned from IF function

I have re-read your message! You say SUM(A1:A5) returns zero! Copy and Paste
one of your IF formulas in a reply to this message - it seems you are
getting text rather than numbers.
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"TheBigUnit622" wrote in message
Any help on this topic is appreciated, obviously.

I'm working in Excel, and I want to find an average of a range of 5 cells.
The thing is, that not all of these 5 cells have a value greater than 0,
and
I only want the average of the cells greater than 0. On top of that,
these
cells are all returned from a nested IF function that returns the values
0,
1, or 2 depending on the result of the IF's.

I'm guessing that because the value's of 0, 1, and 2 are returned from the
IF function are formatted as text, because I've tried to do an AVERAGE
function, and I've also tried to do a SUM combined with a COUNTIF(to count
those greater than 0, to assist with the average) and none of those are
returning anything. (The AVERAGE function returns a divided by 0 error,
and
the SUM/COUNTIF both return 0 as a value).

I'm confident that this can be done, but I'm either over thinking it or
just
plain don't know how to do what I'm trying to do. Any help is
appreciated.