Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko[_2_] T. Valko[_2_] is offline

Default if every 3rd cell is 0

Now that I've revisited this I'm confused as to what the OP really means/wants.

They say the result they expect is 5 and they show a 5 as the last entry in
the sample.

Is the 5 they show in the sample the *result* of the desired formula or is
the 5 part of the data?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

Your formula returns the correct result if you change it to read
=SUMIF(B2:H2,"0",A2:F2)
but it isn't handling the every second cell 0 conditions. For example, if
E2 contained 1 your formula would return 45 but the answer should still be 5,
because E2 is not one of the every second cells.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMIF(B2:G2,"0",A2:F2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Laurie" wrote:

Is there an easy way to post a small example. I have one ready, but it
doesn't look very readable when I paste it.

A B C D E F G H
2 100 a 40 e 3 5
if 2nd cell 0 add cell befor itl to total
if 2nd cell <1 ignore and do not add cell to total
answer row 1 5

"T. Valko" wrote:

How about posting a small example and tell us what result you expect. Also,
tell us where this data is!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Laurie" wrote:

i have a large spreadsheet where i have to check each 3rd cell to see if it
is greater than 0. if it is, then i have to take the 2nd cell and add it to
others where the cell is greater than 0. If the 3rd cell is 0, then the 2nd
cell is ignored.

Laurie