Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default How do I use the data consolidate function?

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:10:02 -0800, Margaret. <Margaret.
@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:

Hello,

I have one large spreadsheet that includes several scores for the one item
eg:

a 1
a 90
a 21
b 2
b 50
c 2
c 2
c 45
c 40
c 1

etc.

I would like to know how to use the data consolidate function (in simple
terms) to consolidate all the scores for a, b and c for example. So the final
score for a=112, b=52 and c=88

I understand I could go through the spreadsheet and highlight the values to
get a total for each item but the spreadsheet is quite large, approx 30,000
rows and 2.5 alphabets of columns... I am hoping that the data consolidate
function will be useful in this regard.

Thanks,

M.

Take a look at Pivot Tables.

For your simple presentation, I labeled your two columns "Items" and "Scores"

I dragged items to "Rows" and Scores to "Values".

I got this result:

Row Labels Sum of Score
a 112
b 52