Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stefi Stefi is offline

Default "Calculating Cells" Mystery

Your functions - especially SUMPRODUCT - give Excel too much calculation
work. If calculation mode is set to automatic (default) Excel recalculates
all cells. You have two options:
1. reduce volume and/or complexity of functions
2. set calculation mode to manual (ToolsOptionsCalculation tab), after
finishing data entry you can trigger recalculation by pressing F9

Regards,
Stefi

€˛WildWill€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi

I created a spreadsheet of about a total of 90 columns and 900 lines, spread
accross 4 worksheets. The spreadsheet does basic calculations like
SUMPRODUCT, etc. For some reason, whenever I make ANY change to the
sreadsheet, i.e. entering new data, etc, etc I get a message in the bottom
left corner of the Excel window, saying "Calculating Cells - plus a %
indicator, which then runs from 0% to 100%. It takes about 20 seconds for
this little % indicator to run to 100%, and while this message is active, the
database becomes "locked" and you can't select any other cells or input any
other data. I is extremely annoying - it makes data entry very frustrating
and this is further aggrivated by the large volumes on data that I am feeding
into this database. What have I done to have this happen? I have never seen
this before in any of the spreadsheets that I have created in Excel? How do I
take this away?