Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Craig A Craig A is offline

Default Vlookup using concatenated values - Excel 2000

I am copying data from a number of ranges (e.g. X1, X2 and X3) into a large
range named X_Data, which I then use for looking up data with the vlookup
function. As the data in X_Data needs to be in alphanumeric order, I sort
the data once I have copied and pasted the data into the range. The problem
I am having is that the data in the first column is concatenated. I copy and
use paste special/values into the X_Data range prior to sorting. When I copy
and paste special the resulting data sometimes has an apostrophe in front.
When this occurs the vlookup does not find the data, even if I go in and
manually remove the apostrophe.

I have tried to replicate this situation in another spreadsheet and have
been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated.

Craig