Gary's Student

I use the following to compare a block of cells on two sheets. Maybe you can
adapt it to compare two files?

Sub auditIt()
'
'this routine compares the first 50 rows/columns of sheet "Original"
'to the same range in sheet "Updated" and marks changed cells in yellow/bold.
'A summary is recorded in sheet "Audit" with the location of changed cells
and the before/after values
k = 1
For i = 1 To 50
For j = 1 To 50
Sheets("Original").Select
o = Cells(i, j)
Sheets("Updated").Select
u = Cells(i, j)
If o < u Then
Cells(i, j).Select
With Selection.Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
Selection.Font.Bold = True
Sheets("Audit").Select
Cells(k, 1) = i
Cells(k, 2) = j
Cells(k, 3) = o
Cells(k, 4) = u
k = k + 1
End If
Next j
Next i
Gary's Student

"Geert Overbosch" wrote:

I have received an updated version of an Excel data file, and I would like to
compare the new file to the old to see where changes have been made. How can
I compare the contents of the two Excel files and detect differences?