Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Diddy Diddy is offline

Default AVG or Return 1 value from either of 2 cells if one is blank

Hi Pete,

Sorry MY fault. I did not phrase the question or the subject line correctly.

E8 or H8 can be either a value 0, 0 or blank. If both are a value then I
need the avg. If either one is blank or 0 then I need the other value
returned.

Thanks to both you and Mike for replying and sorry again :-)
--
Diddy

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Here's another way (avoiding the IF):

=SUM(E8,H8)/COUNT(E8,H8)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 18, 11:00 am, Diddy wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm using the following formula to average the values of 2 cells. If either
is empty, I want it to return the value in the non-blank cell.

=IF(AND(E80,H80),AVERAGE(E8,H8),SUM(E8,H8))

This works fine but is there a better way to do it?

Cheers
--
Diddy