Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alojz Alojz is offline

Default stop excel changing formulas

Hi, I think u missed the point.
formula in a1, sheet 1: =sum(sheet2!a1:a3)
when u add row to a2, sheet 2, formula will change to =sum(sheet2!a1:a4),
no matter if absolute or relative reference, a1 or r1c1.

"FSt1" wrote:

hi
not sure but i think you are taking about absolute reference verses relative
reference
a relative reference looks like this...A1....and excel will under certain
conditions make adjustment to this.
a absolute reverence looks like this ...$A$1.... and excel will not adjust
it period.
the added dollar signs makes it absolute to excel.
you can have absolute rows and relative columns and vice versa so that you
can freeze one or the other if you have some copy/paste to do. can get tricky.
read up on absolute references in help.

Regards
FSt1

"sollidamra" wrote:

i have a summary worksheet which looks up stock from other worksheets and
totals them for me. The problem is if i insert or delete a row into my stock
excel automatically adjusts the formula range up or down. How do i keep the
formula exactly as typed without the range being automatically adjusted? Matt