Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Hardeep_kanwar[_2_] Hardeep_kanwar[_2_] is offline

Default Enter month and year as text

Select the Range. Press Ctrl+1< In the Category Select Custom<Type MMMM YYYY<
now Enter.

Hardeep kanwar

"Orrie" wrote:

Hi,
I maintain a list of new members to a club, and enter the new list of
new members for each month. I just want to separate the new members
for each month by entering the month's name in a cell. This will not
be used in any calculations. So, each month I need to enter the name
of the month and the year as text, like this January 09 (or January
2009 would do as well.) But after I type it in and move to the next
cell, Excel 2003 switches the entry to this format: 9-Jan

How can get Excel to accept what I enter and treat as simply text, not
a value. It is not necessary to use the month and year in any
calculations.

Thank you.

Orrie