Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Default excel

You fix it to always point to the names in row 5 using $ signs, like this:
In H6: =INDEX(B$5:E$5,MATCH(MAX(B6:E6),B6:E6,0))

Then when you copy H6 down, it'll propagate correctly,
viz, you'd get in H7, H8, etc ...:
=INDEX(B$5:E$5,MATCH(MAX(B7:E7),B7:E7,0))
=INDEX(B$5:E$5,MATCH(MAX(B8:E8),B8:E8,0))
etc

P/s: When you post your queries in the newsgroups, just copy your formula
directly from inside the formula bar, then paste it into your post. Reverse
the process when the responders give you the formula; copy direct from the
responder's reply, then paste it into your formula bar. Do not re-type. Its a
waste of manual effort, and you're likely to introduce errors, typos as well.
--
Max
Singapore
"Shone33" wrote:
how can I copy this formula to my other cells with out it changing the first
part of my formula. I tried the next cell and it change the formula to
=index(b6:e6,match(max(b7:e7),b7:e7,0))