Paul B

Susan, this assumes that you have a starting balance in G2, with deposits in
column F and payments in column E, starting in row 3, in G3 put
=(IF(OR(E3,F30), OFFSET(G3,-1,0)- E3+F3,"")) and copy down, if you would
like I could send you a workbook set up for this, post back if you would
like to take a look at it.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Susan" wrote in message
I want to calculate a running balance for a check register in Excel. How

do I
do that without having to enter the formula each time? Can I have the

column
headings set up first? Thanks! This will be for Excel 2000