Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Duplicate entries

why the * (multiply) for the last statement?

The multiplication of the 2 conditions (identically sized ranges):
(Sheet1!B$2:B$100=B2)*(Sheet1!C$2:C$100=C2)
will produce a resultant array of ones/zeros depending on where the dual
conditions are simultaneously satisfied or not, something like this:
{0;0;0;1;0;0 ...0}

MATCH(1, {0;0;0;1;0;0 ...0},0)
then returns the relative position of the "1" in the resultant array, ie: 4
for the: INDEX(Sheet1!A$2:A$100
to return the 4th element within Sheet1!A$2:A$100
ie what's in A5
--
Max
Singapore
"Western_man" wrote in message
Wow... thank you so very much, You have saved me so much time. This
formula
works perfect, the only question I have would be why the * (multiply) for
the
last statement?
Thanks again