Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default How to type format time in decimal format & calculate time

Unfortunately, Excel interprets 2:30 as 2 hours and 30 minutes, not 2
minutes and 30 seconds. Your choices a
1. Enter 0:2:30
2. Enter 2:30.0
3. Divide 2:30 by 60 to convert to minutes and seconds
4. Write a macro which converts the data entered.
5. Lie to Excel. If you always use minutes and seconds, enter as 2:30, and
format as [h]:mm. All your calculations will still work.

Regards,
Fred.

"Cheyenne" wrote in message
I used the CUSTOM function as mm:ss, but it's not working. I want a user to
type in the number of dictated minutes they typed; i.e: 2:30 (2 min. 30
sec)
and have it stay that way after entered. I'm getting results of 12:00?
Also want to add these dictated minutes, and result in H:MM:SS.

HELP? I've tried everything!