Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
xlmate xlmate is offline

Default Formatting cells for text and numbers

are you trying to sum the numbers in the cells?

if yes, try this
Assuming that your data start at A1 to A3

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A3,1)))

otherwise, show your sample and the result you want

HTH

--
Pls provide your feedback by clicking the Yes button below if this post have
help you. This will help others to search the archives for result better.

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Preston" wrote:

I need to create a cell that will read as a number but display text as well,
but Excel only allows you to customize a cell with one type of text. I am
trying to create a time card where the entry could be 8P or 8H or 8F or even
2P. I then want to add up the columns showing the total P's, H's, and F's
separately. Is there a way to do this?