Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default Greatest Number

The easiest way to get formulas correct is to let Excel do them. Try it this
way in the futu

1. Type in: =Max(
2. Navigate to the range you want to find the max of. That is, click on
Sheet1's tab, and highlight cells b2:b9.
3. You will see that Excel has created the proper range for you.
4. Now type the closing parentheses and hit enter. Voila, your formula is
created, and you never have to type a range address again.

Regards,
Fred.

"Workbook" wrote in message
: ) Thanks Rick, I kept putting the sheet reference before MAX in different
variations and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I feel really
foolish now but I am so grateful for you're input. Thanks man. I
appreciate
you're help.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

Assume there was a space in the sheet name as you show...

=MAX('Sheet 1'!B2:B29)

If there aren't any spaces in the name of the sheet, then you don't need
the
apostrophes....

=MAX(Sheet1!B2:B29)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Workbook" wrote in message
Thank you. It works great. Could I modify this formula so that if it
was
in
Sheet 2 it would take data from Sheet 1?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=MAX(B2:B29)

no ifs are needed.
--