Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JBeaucaire[_90_] JBeaucaire[_90_] is offline

Default vlookup by date

Well, guessing a little here. Are you manually deciding on the 3-digits to
look for? From your dataset I chose 703. Since the cells with that data in it
also have dashes, I think excel believes that data to be text, so I put "703"
in the formula to treat it as text, too.

This is also a CSE formula (Ctrl-Shift-Enter), and result in 65 as the answer:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($A$1:$A$4)=12),
--(LEFT($C$1:$C$4,3)="703"),$D$1:$D$4)

Is this closer?
--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"PointerMan" wrote:

This is the data for 4 cells. Each row below represents one cell. I'm
looking for the cell data based on the first 3 digits of the cell.

12-17-08 SHIP 70302-22101-112 37
12-18-08 PKG 70302-22101-111 28
12-30-08 SHIP 74A350834-2019 37
12-30-08 SHIP 901-069-113-134 3