Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PointerMan PointerMan is offline

Default vlookup by date

This is the data for 4 cells. Each row below represents one cell. I'm
looking for the cell data based on the first 3 digits of the cell.

12-17-08 SHIP 70302-22101-112 37
12-18-08 PKG 70302-22101-111 28
12-30-08 SHIP 74A350834-2019 37
12-30-08 SHIP 901-069-113-134 3

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

I'd look at SUMIF. If the dates are in A and the values to be summed are in
B, try something like this:

=SUM(IF(MONTH($A$1:$A$19)=1,$B$1:$B$19,""))

...confirmed by pressing CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. If you only press enter, you'll
get the wrong sum. This is an array formula and the CSE will result in a
braces { } appearing around your formula.

Now, change the 1 to 2 in the formula to get month 2, or February...and so on.
--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"PointerMan" wrote:

I have about 30 columns of data that start with a date in each of them. I
want to pull all of the January (February, etc) dates from each of the
columns into one column in another worksheet. My second column will have
titles January, February, March, etc and will be filled with the appropriate
data from the first sheet.