Tushar Mehta

Hi Phil,

I delayed responding hoping someone else would have an idea of what it=20
is you are trying to do. It appears that is not the case.

Like Mike, I just don't understand what you are charting.

If you plot 15 data points in a column chart, the x-axis are categories=20
(such as "Sample 1", "Sample 2", "Sample 3", etc.). It is possible to=20
calculate the mean for this data set and plot it as a horizontal line. =20
However, this layout doesn't help any analysis vis-a-vis the=20
distribution of the data.

In a normal distribution chart, the mean value is that value of x=20
(along the *x-axis*) where the pdf value (along the y-axis) is the=20
highest. I cannot understand how one can draw a horizontal line at the=20
mean value. The same applies to the std. dev. values.

Two references:
Mike Middleton's paper:
ESTIMATING THE DISTRIBUTION OF DEMAND USING BOUNDED SALES DATA
http://www.usfca.edu/~middleton/demand.pdf

and my tutorial
Drawing a Normal curve
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...n/index.htm=20

I imagine you will find more with a google search.

--=20
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,=20
says...
Tushar Mehta,
=20
Sorry for the confusion. I have plotted 15 data points as vertical column=

s -=20
they are positioned up-and-down, using the Y axis for values. Next, I=20
plotted +/- 1 standard deviations and the mean value as horizontal lines=

=20
(they run straight across the chart), also using the Y axis for values. =

What=20
I want to do is plot a normal distribution curve such that the nd curve m=

ean=20
and SDs are all synchronous with the three horizontal lines already on th=

e=20
chart. The nd curve apex is right and it opens to the left. I want the=

=20
viewer to see how the three lines across the chart align with the nd curv=

e.
=20
Thanks, Phil
=20
"Tushar Mehta" wrote:
=20
In the subject you mention a vertical ND curve but in the body you=20
mention horizontally. So, it is not clear what you want to do.
=20
In any case, you might want to check
http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html specifically the link for 'Invert and=

=20
rotate charts'
=20
To draw straight lines that match up with pre-determined values see=20
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...nes/index.html =20
Also, Jon Peltier has an alternative approach on his site.
=20
=20
--=20
Regards,
=20
Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions
=20
In article ,=20
says...
I would like to plot a normal distribution curve horizontally (on the=

Y axis)=20
in a chart with vertical data histogram plots (up and down) and horiz=

ontal=20
line plots (+/- 1 SD) =C3=A2=E2=3D3F=AC=3D3F all currently using the =

Y axis. I have the=20
histogram/SD portion built. Is there a way to use a secondary axis o=

n the=20
left side of the chart for the nd curve, yet have the nd curve appear=

on the=20
right side of the chart? Actually, it may not make a difference just=

which=20
axis, Y or secondary, the plots are attached to so long as the plots =

can be=20
placed on the chart in an orderly fashion to display three issues: hi=

stogram=20
data, lines for +/- 1 SD, nd curve - the SD lines must be logical wit=

h the nd=20
curve. The next question: how would I shade the area of +/- 1 SD?
=20
Thanks,
Phil
=20