Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default The If function

In C3 you can use the formula:

=A3-B3

In C4 you can use the formula:

=C3+A4-B4

Highlight both these cells and click on Format | Cells | Number tab,
then select Custom, and in the panel type in this format:

$0"Cr";$0"Dr"

Then you can copy the formula in C4 down as far as you need to.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 6, 10:35*pm, Matt wrote:
I'm trying to write a simple formula for *a columnar Ledger account that has
a Dr Entry and a Credit entry. I want to show in the balance column the
amount in $'s and the fact if it is a Dr Balance or a Credit Balance.
Cell A2 and B2 would have the heading Debit and Credit, C2 would have the
balance heading.
Cel A3 has a value of $3000 and cell B3 a Value of $4000 Cell C3 would then
have a balance of $1000Cr. This formula would then need to be copied down the
column and self adjust for each entry.