Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default EXcel problem

You have to do this in 2 stages:

First, type this formula in F4:

=IF(C4<=B4,"OK","Over Budget")

That will get you the text in F4.

Second, with F4 selected, click on Format | Conditional Formatting and
choose Formula Is rather than Cell Value Is in the first box of the
pop-up. Use this formula:

=C4<=B4

then click on the Format button, click on the Color drop-down and
choose blue. Click OK, followed by Add to set up your second
condition. This time you need Formula Is with this formula:

=C4B4

then click Format, Color and choose red. Click OK twice to exit the
dialogue box.

That should do you. If you want the same set-up for cells below F4,
then just copy the cell down and the cell references (and Conditional
formatting) will adjust automatically.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 6, 4:27*pm, MicrosoftBob
wrote:
As an example I have a estimated monetary value in cell B4 and in cell C4 I
have the actual cost. *I have set up the spreadsheet to show in cell F4:- if
the value is lower in cell C4 then the text in cell F4 is set to 'OK' if the
value is higher then the text is set to 'over budget. *I wish to change the
text colour in F4 to red if the item is 'Over Budget' and blue if a returned
value is OK.

Thank you for any help
Bob