Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Are contents of at least one cell in a group a substring of a dif

Hi,

Try this array formula in sheet 1

=OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Sheet2!$A$5:$A$8,A3,1)))*1

Please remember to confirm the formula by Ctrl+Shift+Enter and not Enter
alone

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Paul" wrote in message
excel2007
I have a list of 100k text cells in sheet1, column A:
charles schwab layoffs
mcmaster carr
aig bonuses
slalom consulting
company reviews
cbeyond reviews

In sheet2, column A, I have a list of 50k company names:
coca cola
home depot
charles schwab
aig

I would like to put a "1" in sheet1, column b for every cell in column A
that contains a company name that can be found in sheet2, column A. If
the
cell doesn't contain a company name, I would like to put a "0". For
example,
"charles schwab layoffs" would get a "1" because it contains "charles
schwab"
but "company reviews" would get a "0" because it doesn't contain a company
name.

I would just use the find function if I was only dealing with a few
companies but I am hoping that there is a formula that would be able to
deal
with a large list of cells.