Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Why does Excel select a range instead of just the cell clicked on

Does it select the range from the cell that was selected to the new cell you
select? You might have hit the F8 key, which toggles the selection mode. If
you see "EXT" in the status bar, over toward the right of the screen, this
is what happened. Simply hit F8 again to toggle back to regular mode.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Geekette" wrote in message
In Excel 2007, when I click on a cell, it arbitrarily selects several
adjacent cells as well. If I touch a directional arrow on the keyboard to
move (for example) up and then back down to the cell I want, it lets go,
but
this is a major nuisance. It's also happening to two other people I work
with
and we're all in different files. Why does this occur and how can I make
it
stop? Is it a bug in the software?

Thanks for any help you can offer.