Brian

Default Book1 changes itself?

I have used XL97 on Windows 2000 for a long time. Just lately, XL has
changed its behaviour, and I can't work out why. There are 2 problems, but
they didn't start at the same time.

1. If I open XL and then immediately close it again, without doing anything,
it asks me do I want to save the changes to Book1? What changes to Book1?

2. Whenever I start XL, re-calculation is set to manual. This is true even
if I finish the previous session by re-setting the previous spreadsheet to
automatic re-calculation and saving it.

I tried saving different versions of Book1.xlt and in the end I deleted
Book*.xl?. It made no difference.

Any suggestions would be welcome.