Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default IF Function

Not sure how you want to handle the age on "x" or "y" issue.

One way would be to enter those dates in cells:

E1 = 1/1/2008
F1 = 7/1/2008

With your birth dates in C2 on down...

Enter this formula in E2 and copy across to F2:

=DATEDIF($C2,E$1,"y")

Then select both E2 and F2 and copy down as needed.

As far as the SSN issue...

Select the range of cells that contain the SSNs
Goto the menu EditReplace
Find what: -
Replace with: nothing, leave this empty
Replace All

I don't know if SSNs start with leading 0s but if they do those leading 0s
will get stripped off. Excel doesn't like numbers with leading 0s.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Reenee" wrote in message
Can I calculate if a person was 21 at the date of 1/1/08 or 7/1/08?

Also, can you tell me how to convert SSN numbers that were imported from a
database to a number format and no matter what I do by trying to format
the
cells it does not change. I have to go in each cell and take out the
hyphens
but I have over 4K rows.

I have tried right clicking and format cells, special paste and nothing.

SSN LAST NAME FIRST NAME BIRTHDATE
123-45-5678 SMITH JON 10/14/1977
123-45-5679 DOE JANE 02/21/1982
123-45-5680 DOE JON 01/31/1980