Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Arceedee Arceedee is offline

Default text to number

You have the answer but it is possible to split these expressions into two
columns by using the 'text to columns' facility.
Having imported data to col A (formatted as text) - highlight col A - select
text to columns - field type=delimited - next - select 'other' having
deselected all other options - input / in box - tick box 'treat conseq etc' -
text qualifier should be * - data preview pane should default both columns
to general - selecting finish will leave 15 in Col A and place 8 in col B.
Just for future info and to confirm that the / is no bar to this.
Cheers

"colensa" wrote:

I import data onto Excel from a horseracing database.
The odds of the horses are expressed in the form 3/1, 15/8, 9/4 etc etc .
I have to import these as text otherwise they become dates.
They are therefore on the LHS of the cell.
I don't know how to convert these to single numbers (decimals) in order to
make calculations, and following the process 'text to numbers' on Excel does
not seem to achieve any result - possibly because of the /
Help please