Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default text to number

Hi

One way.
Assuming your text odds are in column C.
InsertNameDefine Name Odds Refers to =EVALUATE($C1)
Change the column letter in the formula to suit the column where your text
values appear.

On any row, enter into a cell =Odds and you will see the result turned into
Value:1
15/8 will become 1.875, 9/4 will become 2.25
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"colensa" wrote in message
I import data onto Excel from a horseracing database.
The odds of the horses are expressed in the form 3/1, 15/8, 9/4 etc etc .
I have to import these as text otherwise they become dates.
They are therefore on the LHS of the cell.
I don't know how to convert these to single numbers (decimals) in order to
make calculations, and following the process 'text to numbers' on Excel
does
not seem to achieve any result - possibly because of the /
Help please