Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Flanagan[_2_] Bob Flanagan[_2_] is offline

Default excel - the need for speed

Mike, the slow performance is a "feature" of Excel 2007 and workbooks with
an extremely large number of formulas. There is some hope that Microsoft
will fix with Excel 2009 or with a new SP release for 2007. Don't bet a
lot.

The best solution is to eliminate formulas you don't need. If you have
gotten the results you need via your lookups and the data is static, convert
the lookups formulas to values by Copy, Paste Special Values. The same goes
for other formulas.

Robert Flanagan
http://www.add-ins.com

"Mike" wrote in message
I use Office 2007 and a heavy user of Excel. My latest spreadsheet is 30mb,
with approx 1 million formulas. There are thousands of sumproducts. I will
be
duplicatin these spreadsheets for numerous locations.

It is now taking 30 minutes to calculate (I have set it to manual calc). I
have a new Lenovo T61 with 2.0 gb RAM and Intel Core Duo 2 CPU @2.2ghz. I
read a previuos post to go into arrays UDF and VBA but I dont have the
time
to learn that part fo the process.

Do you have experience on if I go to a new notebook with the Intel® CoreT2
Quad mobile processor chip. It is quite expensive but i need faster
processing. I don't want to spend the money if the impact is marginal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike