Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default excel - the need for speed

I can't advise on the hardware route, but it strikes me that to
improve the calculation speed you need to look at your Excel file and
see how this can be re-designed to speed things up. If you have a lot
of SP formulae (especially covering large arrays) these will slow
things down considerably, but can sometimes be replaced with SUMIF or
COUNTIF formulae (with the use of helper columns) which run much more
quickly.

There are many other techniques shown on this site:

http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedb.htm

and the SUMIF example shows how a calculation taking over 750 seconds
can be brought down to under 1 sec.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 3, 10:41*am, Mike wrote:
I use Office 2007 and a heavy user of Excel. My latest spreadsheet is 30mb,
with approx 1 million formulas. There are thousands of sumproducts. I will be
duplicatin these spreadsheets for numerous locations.

It is now taking 30 minutes to calculate (I have set it to manual calc). I
have a new Lenovo T61 with 2.0 gb RAM and Intel Core Duo 2 CPU @2.2ghz. I
read *a previuos post to go into arrays UDF and VBA but I dont have the time
to learn that part fo the process.

Do you have experience on if I go to a new notebook with the Intel® Core™2
Quad mobile processor chip. It is quite expensive but i need faster
processing. I don't want to spend the money if the impact is marginal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike