Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default names and drop down lists

Make it easy!

Create a 2 column table with the product in the left column and the
corresponding price in the right column:

...........A............B
1....Prod........Price
2....item1.......3.50
3....item2.......6.25
4....item3.......1.99

Then:

C2 = quantity = 5
D2 = drop down list with prod names

Formula entered in E2:

=C2*VLOOKUP(D2,A2:B4,2,0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nick" wrote in message
I am fairly ignorant of the more complicated aspects of Excel so I hope I
can
get help with this problem.
I have a sheet with column C for quantity , column D for items and column
for the cost. In column D I defined a drop down list with various
materials
that we sell. I made each item in the list a Name which referred to a
specific value (e.g. safety glasses refers to $3). I want to create a
formula
for each cell in column E which would be the product of column C times
whatever the value represented by the name chosen in column D.
Seems like this should be possible, but I have no idea how. Also I need to
formula to work on every cell in column E referring to the cells C and D
in
the same row.

Thanks,

Nick