Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Nick Krill Nick Krill is offline

Default Dynamic Stock Chart

Thanks - I'm using OHLC stock charts. Excel will only accept the range name
for the first series: Open price. When I attempt to enter the range name for
the second series (High) it says that there is an error in my formula, which
isn't true: I test that formula by using it in a single line chart and it
works just fine. Weird huh?As a workaround I created a macro that edits the
data range:

ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Data").Range("j10:M" &
DataCount), PlotBy:= _
xlColumns

Where DataCount is found as:
DataCount = DataSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp).Row

The incoming data is variable in number of rows. I wansn't able to create a
list that contract as well as expand, so I need to get series names or data
range working.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

These methods do work for stock charts and for any other charts with
multiple series. Is it a stock chart with HLC or OHLC? Put the data into a
List and plot using the list. Your descriptions don't explain what isn't
working, or how you set up the list or names.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Nick Krill" wrote in message
Those methods work well with single line charts - I've been using them for
some time now, but I haven't been able to get them to work with a stock
chart?

"John Mansfield" wrote:

As Jon noted you can use range names to automatically expand or contract
your
data set. The article below explain how:

From the article, the series formulas to expand or contract your data set
look like this:

Date =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,1,0,COUNTA($A:$A)-1)

Price =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,1,0,COUNTA($B:$B)-1)

John Walkenbach also walks through the steps:

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php...er_new_dat a/

These articles might help too:

John Mansfield
http://www.cellmatrix.net

"Nick Krill" wrote:

My database of stock prices contracts as well as expands. I haven't
been able
to get either method to adjust it's range to fit the number of data
rows. Any
ideas?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

1. The hard way: Define a name for dates and one name for each series
in the
chart (Open, High, Low, Close). Create the chart using static data,
then
replace the static addresses with the names, either in the series
formulas
or in the Source Data Series dialog.

2. The easy way: Put Date, Open, High, Low, Close into a table. Go to
Data
menu List Create List. Make your chart based on this list. As the
list
expands, any formulas (including chart series formulas) update to
include
all rows in the list.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Nick Krill" wrote in message
How can I create "Name" that will enable a dynamic stock chart in
Excel
2003.
I have been able to create single series dynamic charts using
"Name", but
no
luck in creating a dynamic stock chart.