Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke Luke is offline

Default array search

Shane,
Sorry I did leave that out. I am using a much larger matrix and forgot to
mention there are data beyond P25:R25.

Essentially for this example, P25:R25 are the cells to acquire the
horizontal and vertical count, that in turn finds the range/array D17:F19.

Then, Any of the cells in P26:R26 that match any of the cells in D17:F19
would be displayed at a defined cell range... Say for this example X26:Z26
(Ooops, another tidbit I left out).
I Hope this helps.
Luke

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

You might want to revisit this description. I for one have a hard time
following it and can understand what you mean by
"match D17:F19 with P26:R26 (not D25:F25)"

What do you mean by match are 9 cell range (D17:F19) with a 3 cell range
P26:R26 ?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Luke" wrote:

Thanks all for helping. Here are the details and I'll ask the question in a
minute.

I have a sheet with sets of 3 columns (ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL and so on) all
numeric and no blank cells.

To keep it simple let us say that columns PQR is the extent of the sets.

Column P is the basis for a horizontal count.
Columns Q & R are added together and their total will be the Vertical count.

The horizontal count starts from P and counts from right to left as follows
ABC=4 DEF=3 GHI=2 JKL=1 MNO=0 PQR.

IF P25=3, Q25=3, R25=4
The count would be horizontal from P25 to D25:F25 (set #3).
The Vertical count would be (Q25=3 + R25=4)=7. So D25:F25 less 7 = vertical
count back to D18:F18.

With that said, is it possible to have a formula find D18:F18 based on the
earlier parameters, then match D17:F19 with P26:R26 (not D25:F25).

I hope this is clear enough
Thank you,
Luke