Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating Previous Pay Dates

For the 15th/LastOfMonth condition (and assuming the date in Column A always starts on the 15th or the last day of the month), try these formulas...

Place In B2
-----------------
=A2

Place in B3 (and copy it down as far as needed)
=B2+IF(DAY(B2)=15,DAY(B2+2-DAY(B2+17)),15)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"NFL" wrote in message ...
I tried the formula and it didn't work for me. I probably wasn't good at
explaining. I hope with the example below whould make better sense. I
wanted the formula to adjust as I copy the cell reference in Column B and
drag it below the cell until the current date appears. Let's say today's
date is January 31, 2009, the last date would be January 15, 2009. Here's an
example

Col A Col B
2 March 1, 1976 March 1, 1976
3 March 15, 1976
4 April 1, 1976
# etc.etc...
# January 15, 2009

The formula in B3 above would add 14 days. I would then copy the formula in
B3 and drag it to B4 and continue that process until the current date
appears. The problem I found was that there are usually, 30, 31, 28, or 29
days in a month.

I also was looking for another formula that does the same thing as above,
but the start date would be the 15th and 1st of of every month.

Hope that helps,

Thank you,

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

How are you wanting to handle hire dates of 7th or 18th for example?

If I guess what you want - Suppose A1 is the start date

=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),IF(DAY(A1)<=15,1,15 ))
find one of the dates
=IF(DAY(A1)15,EOMONTH(NOW(),0),DATE(YEAR(NOW()),M ONTH(NOW()),15))
finds the other

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"NFL" wrote:

I have a cell reference that has a begining date (for example Apr 1, 1994)
and payments should have been made on the 1st and 15 of the month every month
up to the present. Is there a way a formula that can be written that way?

I also need a similar formula, but the start date would be the 15th of the
month. These payments will be made on the 15th and the end of the month.
The end of the month could be 30, 31, 28, or 29 (depending on leap year).

With this formula, we could gather totals on the other column to check to
see when payments were made and keep a running total.

Thank you for your help!