Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Excel Crashes when typing "False" in VLookup formula

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:12:03 -0800, pcbins
wrote:

I'm not positive, but it seems to be more frequent when dealing with text
files created with fortran and loaded into an Excel spreadsheet.

I deal with many people who are novice Excel users or who have other
database systems and they have to download data into files to send to me. I
never know what I'll be getting. I've created some macros that help a lot,
though.

But, instead of trying to "clean" their file for uploading it into Access, I
will download related data from access into a spreadsheet and use vlookup to
pull in the information we need from their file.

With my "clean" spreadsheet and their data added to it, I can easily upload
it into the Access Database.

Usually I have no trouble. But lately (I think since HQ decided Office sp3
was safe to use) these particular spreadsheets are giving me this trouble.

I'd wonder about the content of the files that "crash", or whether your macros
are somehow changing the Excel environment in some method that contributes to
this tendency. Maybe some strings in the files that cause Excel to do
something odd.

If you can't locate the issue, perhaps you could work around the problem by
typing zero (0) instead of FALSE for the range_lookup argument.
--ron