Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Issue with VLOOKUP

Your data on Sheet2 needs to be sorted to use VLOOKUP with the fourth
parameter set to TRUE.

Alternatively, set it to FALSE or 0, like this:

=VLOOKUP(B1,DC_Issues,2,0)

then copy down - this looks for an exact match.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 4:18*pm, armsiee wrote:
Excel 2003:

Apologies if I am doing something incredibly stupid but its been a
very long month and way behind on a project and this is driving me
crazy!

references in sheet 1

* B
2 84856
3 84857
4 377738
5 406787
6 406788

Same references in sheet 2 in a range named DC_Issues

* B * * * * * C
2 84856 1
3 84857 2
4 377738 * * * *3
5 406787 * * * *4
6 406788 * * * *5

Then in column J on Sheet 1 formula VLOOKUP(Bx,DC_Issues,2,TRUE)

Returns
* * *J
2 * 1
3 * 2
4 * 2
5 * 2
6 * 2

Have confirmed that the formula has been copied down correctly. *Range
defined. Yet whatever i do (and I have tried numerous things!) I
cannot get the right value to be returned. I have been using this
function for years and haven't come accross this before.

Any help greatly appreciated.