Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Multiple Countif with wildcard criteria

Hi,

Suppose you have typed Sony in cell A9 and Production in cell B9. You can
now use the following formula

=sumproduct((A1:A7=A18)*(B1:B7=B18))

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Awrex" wrote in message
Let's see if I can be clearer...

I have data in column A and data in column B.

Column A Column B
------------------- -------------------
Sony Production
Sony Staging
Aiwa Production
Sony Production
Aiwa Staging
Aiwa 8973
Sony 8963

I need to count Sony Production or Aiwa Staging, etc...

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

"Max" wrote:

The earlier gives you the wildcard count for each item in col B which is
found within col A, which is what I thought you wanted, going by your
orig.
post descriptives.

If the interp's out, maybe you could clarify by posting your sample data
in
both cols A and B, and your expected results in col C.
--
Max
Singapore
"Awrex" wrote:
Hi Max,

I'm not certain how this will compare column A to column B if X exists
and
give me a total count?

Thanks!!