Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Excel crashes when typing "false" in VLookup function

Since you multiposted the same question in different places, how would any one
know that you had gotten this response elsewhere?

Good luck.

pcbins wrote:

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this will fix it, but, as I tell them, this
option is not checked. I have tried it both ways, restarting excel after each
change. And it makes no difference...

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

This may help as a workaround--but it's not a solution.

(xl2003 menus)
Tools|Options|Calculation tab|uncheck "Accept labels in formulas"

Maybe you'll be ok????

pcbins wrote:

While typing a vlookup function such as "=vlookup(A2,'Sheet2'!A:A,false)",
immediately after typing the "f" in "false", Excel will crash with the
following error:

Identify Label
There is more than one cell with this label:f
Select the cell containing the label to use:
[OK] [Cancel]

No matter what is entered following, the following error will occur:

Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This problem has been around for almost 5 years now. Is there a hotfix for
it yet? Or should I give MS another 5 years to work on it?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson