Stuck Student

Default How do I sum numbers up to an certain threshold in Excel?

I'm sure the answer is easy, but I can't figure it out. I'm trying to sum
one column up to a preset threshold (like 60) and then want to sum up
corresponding entries, but I only want the entries that coresspond to the
entries that don't exceed 60.

So far I've create a GPA calculator where you place credit hours in one
column, a letter grade in another, and then it uses a vlookup function to
find out how many points that letter grade is worth, and then uses sum
functions to sum up the points and the credit hours. It then divides the two
to get a GPA.

I'm stuck, however, in trying to figure out how to get it to do a "Last 60
hours GPA" where it will sum the credit hours up to 60, and then sum up the
corresponding grade points. I can figure it out by hand very easily, so I
figure there must be a simple automated way to do it, as well, but the best
I've come up with is to create a really huge nested IF statement where I say
"IF(cell1+cell2<60,IF(sum(cell1:cell2)+cell3<60,IF (sum(cell1:cell3)+cell4<60,
etc" and then just back out the IF statements with sum functions, but that's
just insane and it won't tell me which ones have been accepted for summing up
the grade points that correspond to the credit hours. Using this method I'd
then have to create another huge nested IF statement where IF the credit
hours, but have a sum of the grade points on teh back side of the function.
Anyone know of an easier way? I'd rather avoid anything that involves Visual
Basic. Thx in advance.