Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default DATE as part of a formula

You have two problems. You need to discover whether there's a date in Q10,
and you need to tell Excel what to do if there *isn't* a date.

The general syntax of an If statement is:
=if(condition,true value,false value)

You haven't specified what to do if your statement is false.

Your next problem is determining whether there's a date. Unfortunately
there's no ISDATE function in Excel. Fortunately, a date is just a number,
so try it this way:

=if(isnumber(q10),p10,"what you want if there's no date")

Regards,
Fred.

"EMW103" wrote in message
I don't get it: this still inserts a date. I want to copy the data in row
(which is a monetary value) in to row R only if row Q11 contains any data
(which is a date that I've entered manually, it's not a flexible or
formulaic
date). Your formula inserts a date in to cell R11.

This =IF(Q10=DATEVALUE,P10) isn't working either, but surely there's
something in place of DATEVALUE that I can use? I feel like this should
be
really simple and I just haven't cracked the right terminology.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Did you look at my post
=if(a1=today(),1,2)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"EMW103" wrote in message
No luck :-(

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

First install this UDF:

Function isdatee(r As Range) As Boolean
isdatee = IsDate(r.Value)
End Function

and then the formula becomes:

=IF(isdatee(Q11), P11,"")
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200829

"EMW103" wrote:

Why doesn't this formula work? =IF(Q11=DATE, P11). Can you not use
date
as part of a calculation or question, and if not, what alternative
would be
recommended?

The idea is: The formula I want is to copy cell P11 into cell R11 if
there's
text/data(which in this case is a date) in cell Q11. Is there
something
other than DATE that I could use?

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.