Alan Beban

Harlan Grove wrote:
Alan Beban wrote...

jenhow wrote:

___A__ ____B____ ____C__________ ____D____
050505 04-121212 050505 - CO.fsa (formula here)
050452 05-214176 050505 - CO.fsa
052121 03-217496 050505 - CO.fsa

In this example, I would like column D result to be 04-121212 for all

three

entries because that it the number listed in column C.

If your data is in a range named "Tbl1", the following formula can be

in

a cell in Column D and filled down:

=VLOOKUP(--LEFT(CELL("contents",INDEX(Tbl1,ROW(A3),3)),5),Tbl 1,2,0)

. . .
Now let's discuss outright bugs. Since you tell the OP your formula
should be "filled down", the implication is that the formula you show
would correspond to the topmost cell in the 3rd col of Tbl1. However,
your INDEX call would return the 3rd row from Tbl1 since ROW(A3)
returns 3 rather than 1.
. . .
So, Alan, you don't always test the formulas you post either, eh?

Not a failure to test. I tested on a 3-row range and simply mistakenly
copied the formula from the 3rd row instead of from the first row when
pasting into my posting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Alan Beban