Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Lookup formula required

On Sheet2, starting in A1 make a table like this. Let's say it end at row
200
100 Y02
101 Y02
102 Y02
103 Y02
104 Y02
105 Y02
106 Y02
107 Y02
108 Y02
109 Y02
110 Y02
ABB Y02
ABC Y02
..
111 Y01
112 Y01
etc

On Sheet1 cell B10 holds child code 111
Cell C10 has formula =VLOOKUP(B10,Sheet2!A1:B200,2,FALSE)
It will return the Parent code
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"cangiff" wrote in message
I am trying to do something that I am sure is very simple to achieve, but
it
is beyond my limited knowledge i.e.

I have a list of 100 3 digit codes that can be alpha/numeric.

Each code represents the aggregate of of another series of 3 digit codes
that can also be alpha/numeric e.g.

Parent Y01 is total of children codes in ranges 111 - 120, AAA-AAE
Parent Y02 is total of children codes in ranges 100-110, 131-140, ABB-ABF
Parent Y03 is total of children codes in ranges 121-130, 141-150, AAF-ABA

I would like a formula that will return which parent code applies for any
given child code i.e.

Input: Child code = 111
Output: Parent code = Y01

Can anyone suggest a solution?