Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default CELL REFERNECING

Hi,

The result of the ADDRESS function is text not a reference, so you need to
use INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(I30,'[Vendor sales at
cost.xlsx]Sheet1'!$I:$I,0),9)),0,1)))

However, INDIRECT only works against open workbook (note your example does
not include the path, which suggests the workbook IS open).

Lotus 1-2-3 version 1 supported closed workbook refernces and now Open
Office also does.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"heather" wrote:

TRYING TO REFENCE A CELL IN ANOTHER WORKBOOK. TO GET TO THAT I USED
=ADDRESS(MATCH(I30,'[Vendor sales at cost.xlsx]Sheet1'!$I:$I,0),9)),0,1))
WHICH GIVES ME $J$1594
I WANT IT TO RETURN THE ACTUALL DATA THAT IS IN THAT CELL...HOW CAN I DO
THIS? I HAVE TRIED USING =CELL("CONTENTS",FORMULAFROMABOVE) BUT THAT RETURNS
AN ERROR...WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?