Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Text to columns question

What is between the First and Last names now? If they are separated with
something that is not a space, but it looks like a space, then you can do
this to separate them. Select any one cell with the mysterious "space" in it
and highlight (select) this character, then press Ctrl+C to copy it into the
Clipboard. Now select all of your First/Last names; then go into the Text To
Columns dialog box and choose delimited in Step 1; on Step 2, put your
cursor in the blank box next to the "Other" checkbox and press Ctrl+V to
paste the contents of the Clipboard (which contains the mysterious space
character) into it (this will automatically select the "Other" checkbox).
Note... the names should now show with a separator between them in the table
area of the dialog box. Click the Finish button and your names should all be
separated.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Heidi" wrote in message
I am using a program that will save a report as Excel. In this report I
have
one column with First and Last name. I try text to columns to separate
but
it won't work. I have to physically put a space in between the first and
last name to achieve this. Is there a way to do this without having to
manually put in the space?