Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rae Rae is offline

Default help with formula

http://www.savefile.com/files/1984272
If you look at X43 it shows a total for 3 other cells. What I want to do is
have it calculate the total automatically using cells X8 to X18, X21 to X30
and X33 to X42. Does this help? I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

So you don't want the actual text "+1" or "-1"

Where do you determine the total number that work for you?

Assuming you have a total number of people in a cell, say D1 = 10

In D2 enter =IF(A1="",$D$1,$D$1-1)

If A1 is empty then you will have 10 people available, if V,H or S then you
have 9 people available.

Copy down if necessary.

If this is not sufficient, upload it to http://www.savefile.com/ then post
the URL you will be given after you upload the file.

Gord

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:50:00 -0800, Rae
wrote:

what I am trying to do is calculate the number of people I have on duty.
This is on a schedule showing vacation, sick, holiday, ect. So before I make
my assignments, I want to know how many bodies I have available to assign to
a position. When the cell is empty, it should count as 1 body, if I have put
V, H, S or something in the cell, I want it to take away from the total
available to me.

"joeu2004" wrote:

On Jan 27, 2:50 pm, Rae wrote:
How do I make this formula-if cell empty +1 if cell has
any value -1

First, you need to decide if you mean "really empty" (no formula and
no value) or "appears empty" (no formula, or a formula that returns
"").

Use ISBLANK(A1) to test for "really empty". Use A1="" to test for
"appears empty". I use the latter because it is more general,
covering both cases.

=if(A1="", 1, -1)

If you want the "+" sign in the first case, you can use the custom
format "+0;-0" (without the quotes).