Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Curtis[_2_] Dave Curtis[_2_] is offline

Default Calculate Value on new cell based on List

Hi,

Which list box are you using?
If you use the one from the Control Toolbox, the linked cell will display
the item selected from the list, ie GRAPES.
If you use the listbox from the Forms toolbar, the linked cell will display
the position of the item in the list, ie if you select GRAPES, it displays 4.

Dave

"Ranjit S Hans" wrote:

Thanks so much for the quick review and help John..

This worked like a charm !!

Thanks once again!!

Warm Regards,
Hans

"John" wrote:

Hi
You can do it this way:
=IF(A1="Apple",1,IF(A1="Orange",2,IF(A1="Pineapple ",3,IF(A1="banana",4,""))))
etc,,etc..
Change A1 for the cell that list the items.
HTH
John
"Ranjit S Hans" <Ranjit S wrote in message
Hi Excel Gurus,

How do I calculate a value on a new cell based on what the user selects
from
a List.

For Example :

If I have a dropdown List of 5 items - APPLE, ORANGE, BANANA, GRAPES,
PINEAPPLE

Selecting APPLE should paste a value 1 in the adjoining cell
Selecting ORANGE should paste a value 2 in the adjoining cell
Selecting BANANA should paste a value 3 in the adjoining cell
Selecting GRAPES should paste a value 4 in the adjoining cell
Selecting PINEAPPLE should paste a value 5 in the adjoining cell

Thanks for your time.

Warm Regards,
Ranjit S Hans