Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
John[_22_] John[_22_] is offline

Default Calculate Value on new cell based on List

Hi
You can do it this way:
=IF(A1="Apple",1,IF(A1="Orange",2,IF(A1="Pineapple ",3,IF(A1="banana",4,""))))
etc,,etc..
Change A1 for the cell that list the items.
HTH
John
"Ranjit S Hans" <Ranjit S wrote in message
Hi Excel Gurus,

How do I calculate a value on a new cell based on what the user selects
from
a List.

For Example :

If I have a dropdown List of 5 items - APPLE, ORANGE, BANANA, GRAPES,
PINEAPPLE

Selecting APPLE should paste a value 1 in the adjoining cell
Selecting ORANGE should paste a value 2 in the adjoining cell
Selecting BANANA should paste a value 3 in the adjoining cell
Selecting GRAPES should paste a value 4 in the adjoining cell
Selecting PINEAPPLE should paste a value 5 in the adjoining cell

Thanks for your time.

Warm Regards,
Ranjit S Hans