Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default help with code for conditional summary sheet

Herbert,

If all your sheets have the same columns, with the same layout (headers, etc.) it would be easy to
use a simple macro to get all the sheets into one database. The big advantage of using a database
instead of individual sheets is actually reporting, which is more robust with a single sheet. For
example, you could use a pivot table on your database to get a summary, by whatever category you
want (depending on what you have in your database, of course) like, say, oil changes, brake jobs,
tire rotation, windshield washing, etc. And summaries accross vehicles / time frames would be much
easier. Then, you can still print out individual sheets by filtering the database to only show one
vehicle. So it is a lot more flexible, a lot easier to do reports....

Take a look at:

and go down the links, to get an idea of what you can do.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"englishdad" wrote in message

Herbert Seidenberg;785757 Wrote:
Bernie is right.
But if you insist...
Excel 2007 with PivotTable and Macro.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nwnqnj2ztkd/01_26_09.xlsm

Thanks for your help guys, I can't actually use the above link as I'm
using office 2003 :(

The design of the workbook was passed on to me but it does allow us to
print out each individual sheet as a maintenance record in its current
state so method behind madness type thing! I will investigate your
suggestion of using the filters but I might end up back with the old
design due to the printing format. I'd also like the summary sheet to
be generated when the workbook opens so that you are presented with the
important info straight away. I'm not sure you could do this with the
filters option??? I could be wrong though, I am a novice at this!!

Anyway thanks again for your input and if you do come across some code
for my version, do let me know :)

--
englishdad